Wanting to look beautiful is not a crime and there are a lot of brands out there that provide good quality products at varying prices one of those companies is “Makeup Forever”. It is a french cosmetic company founded in the year 1984 by makeup artist Dany Sanz, it is currently owned by LVMH (acquired in the year 1992). But to makeup lovers all around the world money and quality of the product is not the only factor that is important while purchasing a product but they also purchase products based on whether it is cruelty-free. And as disappointing it might sound to fans of Makeup Forever, the company’s products are not cruelty-free.
No brand or company will ever openly admit that they conduct animal testing, then how is it possible to know how a company takes part in animal testing or not? Well, the answer to this question is that several organizations( like PETA and Crueltyfreekitty) conduct research, surveys etc to find out if a certain company is cruelty-free or not. One another indicator is to check whether the Brand sells its product in mainland China or not.
Mainland China requires premarket animal testing for products to be sold in physical stores or for specially imported products. Post-market animal testing is conducted if there are any complaints from consumers regarding the product. It is to be noted that this mandatory animal testing is not required in Hongkong or airports.
Another way brands indulge in animal testing is by allowing third parties or suppliers to conduct animal testing of products or ingredients. That is even if the brand says they do not involve in animal testing if they allow or pay third parties or suppliers to conduct them, they cannot be considered cruelty free.
Makeup Forever does sell its product in China, so this is a likely indicator of the fact that the company is indulged in animal testing. Furthermore, the company is not exclusive about its suppliers and whether they are involved in animal testing. To solidify this, the company is owned by LVMH, the company that is exclusively not cruelty-free considering they promote leather, fur products etc.
Table of Contents
Is Makeup Forever Vegan?
Cruelty-free alternatives to Makeup Forever
Despite not being cruelty free the brand is still popular because of the product it offers, but why use a product in guilt when you can switch to other brands, that is if you are not comfortable using Makeup Forever.
1. Color Pop(PETA Certified)
ColorPop is an American cosmetics brand based in Los Angeles, California, founded in 2014 by siblings Laura and John Nelson. The brand chiefly makes products for the eyes, lips, and face. With very few exceptions their products are mostly vegan. Also, they are not involved in animal testing in any way and the product is not sold in Mainland China, thus they are cruelty-free too. So you can use the products guilt-free.
Some of their products(vegan) are:
- The micro-fine tip brow pen will help shape and define your brows, making them look fuller.
- They are easy to use, smudge-free, water-resistant, and mistake-proof.
- Use soft upward strokes to fill in areas with less hair and build to your desired intensity to shape. The brand also recommends using a feather effect liquid brow pen to draw tiny hair-like strokes for added dimension.
Dgaf super shock shadow
- Multidimensional golden brown shadow
- It has a unique bouncy texture and crease-free formula.
- The product is super creamy, insanely pigmented, and claims to provide one swipe intensity with zero fallout.
- The brand recommends using a fingertip or a flat, firm synthetic brush to apply shadow directly onto the eyelid for maximum coverage. Using the brush will help in detailed application close to the lash line.
- Using a fluffy synthetic brush with good movement, dip the tip into the shadow and apply with a “windshield wiper” movement throughout the crease of the eye to blend and create a soft look.
2. Bare Minerals
Though the brand is 100% cruelty-free, they do have products that are not vegan. Below given are some of their vegan products.
COMPLEXION RESCUE® TINTED MOISTURIZER – HYDRATING GEL CREAM BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30
- It is a 3-in-1 mini multi-tasker that combines a moisturizer, skin tint and SPF 30.
- It contains a lightweight gel-cream that evens skin tone.
- The product also helps boost skin’s hydration
- This tinted moisturizer with SPF 30 is available in 20 flexible shades.
LOOSE MINERAL EYE COLOR Mineral Loose Powder Eyeshadow
- The rich, velvety shades are buildable and blendable.
- They come in various shades, from romantic and delicate to bold and editorial.
It is a Korean based Cosmetic Brand founded by Jerry Kim. It is a cruelty-free and vegan brand and is registered as a partner of the vegan society. The fact that the brand is also eco-cert certified is just cherry on top.
Rosemary Scalp Scaling Shampoo
- The product consists of vegan formulas free of sulfate surfactant, silicone oil, and animal-based ingredients so as to ensure safe cleansing daily.
- BHA (salicylic acid) makes the scalp clean by effectively removing impurities that clog your scalp’s pores; other ingredients like rosemary, ginger, basil and oregano are extracted with a decoction method that effectively delivers active substances to the scalp and hair roots.
- The presence of para-probiotics, probiotics, and caffeine will help restore balance for scalp and hair roots.
- The nourishment provided by biotin, Panthenol, and amino acids makes hair roots and hair healthy.
- The brand recommends the use of shampoo two or three times a week. Apply a moderate amount onto the wet scalp and massage into the scalp, lather, and rinse thoroughly.
Vitalizing Rosemary All-in-one Wash
- The all-in-one cleanser contains natural ingredients and gently washes all areas from the most sensitive face to body and even hair.
Note: All the product descriptions are from the brand’s website.
Here is video about cruelty free