ELF is an American cosmetic brand based in Oakland California the ELF is an abbreviation for eye, lip and face. They market bath and skincare products, mineral-based makeup, professional tools, eyeliners, glosses etc. The company was founded in 2004 by Joseph Shamah and Scott Vincent Borba.
So, is ELF cruelty-free?
ELF products are not only of high quality and affordable price but they are also cruelty-free and vegan. The company does not use any animal derivative in their products and their brushes and eyelashes are made of synthetic materials. The company is also a dedicated member of PETA’s beauty without Bunnies cruelty-free program since 2005.
In 2020, the brand also launched their eco-friendly packaging for their foundation, where they removed the plastic box and excess packaging as part of their Project Unicorn. The brand claims that this initiative has eliminated about 650,000 pounds of packaging material since starting the project.
How to know if a brand is cruelty-free?
No brand will openly admit that their products undergo animal testing fearing the backlash from people, so it is better to visit websites like crueltyfreekitty and PETA to know if your favourite brand is favourite brand is cruelty-free.
The benchmarks that can be used to find out whether a brand is cruelty-free or not are:
- Check whether the brand in any way or form tests their products or ingredients, the brands will never tell this on their own so it is difficult to find out about this.
- Check if the brand’s supplier or third party does animal testing for ingredients or finished projects. Many brands are inclusive about their third parties and suppliers and are reluctant to give out information regarding it.
- Check whether the brand sells its product in mainland China or any other country where animal testing on products is required by law. If so, then they are indulged in animal testing.
- The last one is something consumers themselves can check.
Some of e.l.f’s best selling products
- BUDGE SHADOW STICK
- A versatile creamy eyeshadow stick
- The product delivers a highly pigmented metallic color that stays for a long time.
- Creamy, blendable eyeshadow formula that can be applied easily
- Smear-proof and crease-free.
- You can either wear it alone or use it under or over eyeshadow.
- Twist-up design with a built-in sharpener.
- Available in 12 multi-dimensional shades.
- To apply, swipe the shadow stick across the eyelid or lash line and blend using a fingertip or brush.
- To shop: shadow stick
- PUTTY BLUSH
- Highly pigmented with a creamy formula that melts into the skin and gives a natural glow.
- It is lightweight with a buildable formula.
- Transforms from creamy to semi-matte powder finish.
- This product contains vitamin E and argan oil which provides hydration.
- The product is available in 8 shades.
- For application, using a blush brush or clean fingers gently pat the blush into the apple of your cheeks. Continue patting to get a smooth blend. If you need more pop of color, add more products. The brand recommends prepping the skin with their Poreless Putty Primer.
- To shop: Putty blush
- HYDRATING CAMO CONCEALER
- This is a liquid concealer that provides a crease-proof full coverage that lasts for a long time.
- The concealer also goes the extra mile and hydrates your skin.
- Satin finish full coverage
- Appropriate for dry, normal and combination skin types
- The presence of sodium hyaluronate provides hydration by locking in moisture.
- The rose flower water helps soothe the skin thanks to its inflammatory properties.
- Available in 25 shades
- The company recommends applying the product using their complexion duo brush or you can use the wand that comes with the product to apply it in areas you want to. Now, pat the product out gently using your finger, brush or sponge to blend it smoothly.
- To shop: Hydrating camo concealer
- JELLY FACE POP DEW FACE PRIMER
- It is a unique gel textured face primer that grips onto your makeup while hydrating your skin.
- The gel also helps in moisturising and keeping your skin smooth.
- This [product contains hyaluronic acid that locks in moisture, Niacinamide which minimizes pores and even out skin, watermelon seed extract which has antioxidants and vitamin A, C & E that hydrates and nourishes your skin.
- Apply gel primer evenly on your face before wearing makeup. After the primer is applied, wait 30 seconds before applying makeup.
- To shop: Jelly face pop dew face primer
- BIG MOOD MASCARA BUNDLE
- The mascara helps in volumising and lifting your lashes
- The unique hourglass-shaped brush will also help to separate and define your lashes.
- It has a smooth and creamy formula infused with jojoba oil which helps hold the lash’s curl.
- Smudge and flake resisting
- Apply the mascara starting at the root of the lashes in a zig-zag motion and work your way up.
- To shop: big mood mascara bundle
- FLAWLESS FINISH FOUNDATION
- This is a lightweight liquid foundation that naturally blends into your skin.
- Semi-matte finish.
- It is oil-free and provides medium to full coverage.
- Contains glycerin which hydrates the skin.
- Apply the product using a foundation brush or sponge. Blend the liquid foundation onto your cheeks, forehead, jawline, upper neck, chin.
- Available in 40 shades.
- To shop: Flawless finish foundation
- HOLY HYDRATION FACE CREAM
- A lightweight moisturizing face cream that nourishes your skin while hydrating it.
- Replenishes lost moisture and make the skin plump(Hyaluronic acid)
- Brightens and evens out your skin tone(Niacinamide)
- The product immediately gets absorbed into the skin after application.
- Provides a fresh and clean scent
- Gently massage a small amount of the moisturizing cream into your clean skin.
- To shop: Holy Hydrating face cream
The brand website allows you to virtually try on their products that require it, though one cannot be sure about the accuracy of these compared to real-life try on, let’s appreciate e.l.f for taking the initiative. You can avail yourself virtual try on in three ways
- Live camera
- by choosing a model given by the site.
- Uploading a photo into the site.
The company prioritises not only their customers but also every human being and animal through their policies.
This is one of the many things mentioned on the company’s about us page –